SWIMMING POOL EQUIPMENT SAFETY TIPS
- If using a fence around the pool or spa make sure that it is a non-climbable fence at least a height of 5 feet.
- Fencing with vertical bars should be no more than 4" apart from each other.
- All gates or fences leading to the pool or spa area should be self-closing and self-latching with latches that are out of reach of children. Once again the recommended height is 54" above the ground.
- All gates that are installed should open away from the pool.
- Make sure there are no chairs, tables, planters etc. that can be used to climb over the gate or fence.
- Chairs, tables, planters or other items potentially used for climbing are kept away from the fences.
Pool/Spa Safety Covers
- Pool and spa safety covers should be able to hold the weight of a child.
- Pool and spa safety covers should only be removed completely for cleaning or prior to use and replaced immediately afterwards.
- Automatic covers should have the turn switch at a height of at least 54" above ground or locked so that a child cannot open the cover themselves.
- All the safety tips shared here on this website or not nearly enough compared to supervision.
- An adult should always be present when a child is in a pool or spa area. Supervision should not be neglected for any reason during the time a child is near the pool or spa.
- It is a helpful idea to have all family members 14 years of age and older have a current CPR certification. You never know when you might need to be the one saving a life!
- If a diving board is present the water must be at least 8 feet deep.
- All pool chemicals should be stored in childproof containers and out of the reach of children.
They represent items proven to reduce the risk and incidence of childhood drowning.
Swimming pool equipment is not always visible to those who are swimming in your pool; however, it is crucial to the operation and maintenance of your pool.
Swimming pool pumps and filtration systems play an important role in keeping your swimming pool clean. Pumps transfer the water to and from your pool through the filter to make sure dirt and debris is cleaned out. I recommend having your filter cleaned at least twice a year to ensure proper function.
A pool heater is also important for the family and friends that wish to swim on cooler days and nights and still enjoy themselves. A heater can extend your swimming season to year round. There are also more efficient ways of heating your pool such as solar.
Pool cleaners use suction to pick up dirt and debris from the bottom of your swimming pool. I recommend every pool owner to have a pool cleaner working in their pool to extend their pools cleanliness until the next visit by their pool serviceman. If you do not have a pool cleaner already you can contact me for pricing.
The best way to keep your pool, spa, waterfall or fountain in good working and safe shape is to call Victor's Pool Service Company and sleep worry free.